Dr. Yusuf Gunay Specialist General Surgery
Years of Experience : 23
Nationality : Turkey
Languages Known : English, Kurdish, Turkish
Education & Training: MD | General Surgery Specialist | European Board of Surgery | Turkey Board of Surgery | ASTS CertificationBook Appointment
Yusuf Gunay is a General Surgeon at Medeor Hospital, Abu Dhabi, with over 24 years of experience practicing in general surgical centers. He graduated from Ankara University in Turkey and then completed his general surgery training at one of the biggest hospitals in the Ministry of Health University, Ankara Numune Hospital in Turkey. He also underwent three fellowship training programs in the USA, including organ transplantation, liver pancreas and biliary surgery, and minimally invasive surgery.
He is particularly interested in liver, pancreas, and biliary surgery, hernia surgery, dialysis access surgery, and acute surgeries.
Research & Publications
- Gunay Y, Kaymaz E. Cynara Scolymus (Artichoke) Improves Liver Regeneration after Partial Liver Resection in Rats. Clinical and Experimental Health Sciences, 2022; 12(3): 653-58.
- Gunay Y, Tasdoven I. The Diagnostic and Surgical Challenges of Small Bowel Disease Not Involving the Duodenum. Ann Ital Chir, 2021; 92:377-383.
- Gunay Y, Altaner S, Ekmen N. The Role of e-NOS in Chronic Cholestasis-Induced Liver and Renal Injury in Rats: The Effect of N-Acetyl Cysteine. Gastroenterol Res Pract, 2014; 2014:564949.
- Gunay Y, Guler N, Onur Yaprak, Ertan Emek, Yaman Tokat. Living Donor Liver Transplantation for Obese Patients: Challenges and Outcomes. Liver Transplantation, 2014 Mar; 20(3):311-322.
- Jon von Visger, Yusuf Gunay, Neeraj Singh, Todd Pesavento, Elkhammas Elmahdi. The Risk of Recurrent IgA Nephropathy in a Steroid-Free Protocol and Other Modifying Immunosuppression. Clin Transplant, 2014 Aug; 28(8):845-54.
- Gunay Y, Guler N, Yaprao O, Dayangac M, Tokat Y. Living Donor Liver Transplantation Outcomes for Hepatocellular Carcinoma Beyond Milan and UCSF Criteria. Indian Journal of Surgery, 2014, 1-7.
- Yusuf Gunay MD, Huseyin Y Bircan MD, Ertan Emek MD, Gulum Altaca MD, Gokhan Moray MD. The Management of Acute Cholecystitis in Chronic Hemodialysis Patients: Percutaneous Cholecystostomy versus Cholecystectomy. The Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery, 2013 Feb; 17(2):319-25.
- Gunay Y, Guler N, Akyildiz M, Yaprak O, Dayangac M, Yuzer Y, Tokat Y. Management of Patients with Recurrent Hepatocellular Carcinoma Following Living Donor Liver Transplantation: A Single-Center Experience. Gulf J Oncolog, 2014 Jan; 1(15):12-8.
- Yusuf Gunay MD, Mohammad Jamal MD, Alyssa Capper BA, Isaac Samuel MD. Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass (RYGB) Achieves Substantial Resolution of Migraine Headaches in the Severely Obese Population. (Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases, 2013 Jan; 9(1):55-62).
- Yusuf Gunay MD, Nese Yener MD, Ali Inan MD, Orhun Sinanoglu. A Novel Mechanism of Anti-T Lymphocyte Globulin Mediated by Fractalkine (CX3CL1) in Renal Ischemia-Reperfusion Injury in Rats. Transplantation Proceedings, 2013 Jul-Aug; 45(6):2461-8.
- Mohammad Jamal MD, Yusuf Gunay MD, Alyssa Capper BA, Isaac Samuel MD. Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass (RYGB) Ameliorates Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) and Dramatically Improves Conception Rates: A Nine-Year Analysis. Surg Obes Relat Dis, 2012 Jul; 8(4):440-4.
- Yusuf Gunay MD, Ebru Demiralay MD. Pancreatic Metastasis of High-Grade Papillary Serous Ovarian Carcinoma Mimicking Primary Pancreatic Cancer: A Case Report and Literature Review. (Case Reports in Medicine, 2012; 2012:943280).
- Yusuf Gunay, Huseyin Y. Bircan, Ebru Demiralay, Ertan Emek. Spontaneous Enterocutaneous Fistula: A Complication of Colon Cancer. Turkish Journal of Gastroenterology, in press.
- Guler N, Gunay Y, Dayangac M, Yaprak O, Akyildiz M, Yuzer Y, Tokat Y. Liver Transplantation for Fulminant Hepatic Failure Due to Iatrogenic Porta Hepatis Injury. Minerva Chir, 2013 Jun; 68(3):333-4.
- Guler N, Yaprak O, Gunay Y, Dayangac M, Akyildiz M, Yuzer F, Yuzer Y, Tokat Y. Major Complications of Adult Right Lobe Living Liver Donors. Hepatobiliary Pancreat Dis Int, 2015 Apr; 14(2):150-6.
- Guler N, Dayangac M, Yaprak O, Akyildiz M, Gunay Y, Yuzer Y, Tokat Y. Anatomic Variations of Donors' Portal Vein in Right Lobe Living Donor Liver Transplantation: The Safe Use of Variant Portal Veins. Transplant International, 2013 Nov; 26(12):1191-7.
- Liver, pancreas, and biliary surgery
- Laparoscopic cholecystectomy and pancreatectomy
- Laparoscopic sleeve, Roux-en-Y, and metabolic surgery
- Laparoscopic appendectomy
- Laparoscopic hernia surgery (inguinal, hiatal, and umbilical)
- Anal fissure, hemorrhoid, and sinus pilonidal surgery
- Trauma surgery
- Dialysis access surgery (A-V fistula, PD catheter)
- European Board of General Surgery
- Turkish Board of General Surgery
- ASTS (American Society of Transplant Surgeons) Membership