Dr. Deepak Pillai, a seasoned Consultant Nephrologist based at Medeor Hospital in Abu Dhabi, follows a medical practice philosophy centered on the profound commitment of physicians to serve their patients. With over 14 years of extensive experience in Nephrology, Dr. Pillai specializes in evidence-based medicine across various aspects of renal care, encompassing kidney transplantation, renal replacement therapy, clinical nephrology, and critical care nephrology.
Dr. Pillai’s educational journey includes earning his MBBS from the University of Kerala in 1993, MD (Internal Medicine) from the University of Kerala in 2000, and DM (Nephrology) from the University of Calicut in Kerala in 2005. In 2011, he achieved a Fellowship in Adult Nephrology (FICN) from the University of Toronto in Canada.
Having previously served as a Consultant in Nephrology and Transplantation at Moulana Hospital in Perinthalmanna, India, Dr. Pillai later moved to Kuwait, where he held the position of Senior Registrar, Renal Transplantation at the Hamed Al Essa Kidney Transplant Center until 2011. Following his time in Kuwait, he became a Consultant Nephrologist at Cosmopolitan Hospital in Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala, India, until 2014. Dr. Deepak Pillai also contributed his expertise as a Consultant – Nephrology at NMC Hospitals in Abu Dhabi and Khalifa City. Additionally, he served as a Senior Lecturer in Medicine at the Medical College in Thiruvananthapuram, India, for over a year.
Dr. Pillai’s areas of expertise and services encompass a wide range of renal care specialties, making him a valuable resource for patients seeking comprehensive and evidence-based nephrological care.
Awards & Achievements
- Gold Medal in Medicine - 1993
- Gold Medal in Surgery - 1993
- Second Best Outgoing Student - 1993
- Kesavan Vaidyar Memorial Gold Medal - 1993
- Sabu Memorial Gold Medal First - 1993
- Gold Medal in Anatomy - 1993
- Best Poster Presentation at Annual Conference of Southern Chapter of Indian Society of Nephrology - 2008
- Recipient of M M Niyamathullah Memorial Award for the Best Nephrology Essay Paper at Annual Conference of the Southern
- Chapter of Indian Society of Nephrology - 2001 and 2002
- Management of patients with acute kidney disease
- Management of Anemia, abnormalities of bone metabolism, hypertension, and planning of renal replacement therapy
- Management of patients on hemodialysis continuous renal replacement therapy for the treatment of acute kidney injury in the Intensive care unit
- Management of various dialysis modalities – Intermittent hemodialysis, sustained low-efficiency dialysis, short daily hemodialysis, and nocturnal hemodialysis
- Management of patients with vascular access
- Management of patients on peritoneal dialysis Plasma exchange therapy for renal conditions – patients with pulmonary-renal syndromes, vasculitis, catastrophic antiphospholipid syndromes, thrombotic microangiopathy, and non-renal conditions- hypertriglyceridemia induced pancreatitis, myasthenic crises
- Management of transplant patients Acid-base, electrolytes, and critical care nephrology
- Management of patients with glomerular diseases manifesting as acute kidney injury, nephrotic syndrome, nephritic syndrome, proteinuria, hematuria
- Management of manifestations of systemic diseases on the kidney – lupus, vasculitis, diabetes mellitus, systemic hypertension, scleroderma, rheumatoid arthritis, and others
- Renal biopsy as a diagnostic tool in kidney diseases
- Management of disorders of sodium, potassium, calcium, magnesium, and phosphorus metabolism medical management of patients with kidney stones
- Management of urinary tract infections and prevention of recurrence
- Management of patients with kidney failure secondary to heart failure and liver failure
- Management of drug overdose and poison ingestion